PROTOCOL OF THE ELEVENTH SESSION OF COORDINATION COUNCIL OF
THE GEORGIAN AND ABKHAZ SIDES
The eleventh session of the Coordination Council created pursuant to
Final Statement of the Georgian and Abkhazian Sides (on 17-19 November 1997),
took place on October 24,
The Georgian Side was represented by a delegation under the leadership of
Mr. Giorgi Arsenishvili.
The Abkhaz Side was represented by a delegation under the leadership of
Opening the session, the Special Representative of the Secretary General pointed
out that recently, in spite of some stagnation in the process of comprehensive
settlement of the conflict, the negotiations within the framework of
The agenda of the meeting included the following issues:
1. Issues of sustainable non resumption of hostilities and
2. Refugees and internally displaced persons.
3. Economic and social problems.
Representatives of the Sides made statements. Representatives of the
The Coordinating Council
1. To endorse recommendations of the Working group 1, adopted at the
fifth session on
If one of the Parties to the conflict deems it necessary to increase the
number of its personnel in the security zone and it exceeds 600 persons, than:
a) Party, which proposes to increase the number of its personnel and it
exceeds 600 persons, must notify about it, first of all the other Party, and
than UNOMIG and Peace Keeping Forces of the Commonwealth of Independent States.
b) Upon the reception of such a notification, the Chief Military Observer
of UNOMIG shall convene an extraordinary session of the Working group to discuss
the issue of potential increase of the number of personnel.
2. To grant official status to the quadripartite meetings and conclude
these meetings with signing protocol by representatives of Sides, UNOMIG and
the Peace Keeping Forces of the Commonwealth of Independent States.
3. To take measures aimed at resumption of activities of the Working
4. The Sides noted a draft document on establishment and functioning of
the Joint Evaluation Commission on situation in the Gali region, which is being
created within the framework of the
5. To call upon the Sides, to continue, as soon as possible, the
negotiation process and reach agreement on concrete measures of economic
cooperation within the framework of the Working group 3.
6. To convene the 12th session of the Coordination Council no
later than January 2001.
(Archive of the Staff of the State Minister of Georgia for Conflict Resolution Issues/in Russian)