DRAFT-AGREEMETN of the Parity Commission on the major
provisions for the management of Abkhazia
1. Abkhazia is the autonomous part of the
Democratic Republic of Georgia.
2. The Autonomous Abkhazia, in addition to the legislative
organ and the legislation of the Democratic Republic of Georgia shall have its
local legislative Assembly – the People’s Council of Abkhazia elected
through universal, direct and equal elections by secret ballot suffrage.
3. The members of the People’s Council of Abkhazia shall the
same rights and privileges as the members of the Constituent Assembly of
Georgia granted them under the Decree of
4. Abkhazia shall represent the separate
electoral district at the elections of the legislative organ of
5. Commissariat on management of Abkhazia shall
exercise the executive power in Abkhazia.
6. The terms of convocation and duration of
sessions of the People’s Council, as well as the Regulations on executive organ
(Commissariat) shall be determined by the People’s Council of Abkhazia.
7. The People’s Council
of Abkhazia shall have the right to initiate the legislation.
8. The members of the People’s Council,
representative of the executive power, as well as all the public officials
shall take the oath and draw up the warrant on dedication to the laws of the
Republic and the Autonomous Abkhazia.
9. The People’s Council shall have the right to
adopt the laws on all of the issues, including: domestic affairs, tax and
customs system, establishment of common courts and Senate, civil, criminal and
national legislation, post, telegraph, railway of a common-state importance.
10. The People’s Council of Abkhazia shall
have the right to introduce the taxes, form its own budget and finances
established by the law of the Republic.
11. In the sphere of land management the People’s Council
of Abkhazia shall have the right increase or reduce the land taxes and the
conditions on rendering the lands to the working class pursuant to the common
agrarian laws and Decrees issued by the Republic.
12. The lands, estates, entrails having the
common-state status and are not the subject to distribution is the property of
the Republic and they shall be managed and utilized by the Abkhaz People’s Council under general
guidance and control of the Central power.
13. The central power of the Republic shall
exercise the control through its plenipotentiary representative on compliance
of the legal acts and Decrees issued by the People’s Council of Abkhazia with the
common-laws of the Republic.
14. In case of incompatibility of the legal
acts and Decrees issued by the Peoples Council of Abkhazia with the laws of the
Republic, the Central Government shall be authorized to terminate the validity
of those documents within 15 days after publication and submit them to the
Senate for discussion.
15. Georgian shall be the general state
language in Abkhazia, but the People’s
Council of Abkhazia has the right to introduce the language of instruction at
educational establishments and the language of paperwork at the state and
public organizations at its own discretion.
16. The rights and responsibilities, as well as
the civil rights and freedoms of citizens on the
Authentic with original: Head of Chancellery of
the People’s Council of Abkhazia; sealed.
(Tamaz Nadareishvili, David Chitaia, Paata Davitaia, Problem of